Climate change deniers are often denigrated
Climate Change deniers are no longer in fashion, since Donald Trump left office. I have written before that I have come only gradually to accepting the majority opinion. However, I was more a sceptic than a denier for a long time and I do not consider it evil to question anybody’s views. As in other things, I think we need to listen, to look for common ground and to refrain from insulting or demonising each other.
What actions might climate change deniers and activists agree about?
Extreme weather events are happening more often, and average global temperatures are rising for some reason. Even if human activity is not the cause, Governments, businesses and individuals need to manage the risks, even in Britain, where winter always seems to come as a surprise to local authorities and the NHS. Why do shops start selling winter clothes only at the start of winter? Do people not get them in advance?
What common concerns might we have?
You don’t have to have a particular view of climate change to agree to some things.
- Earth’s resources, including fossil fuels, are not infinite. We need to reduce consumption.
- We need oxygen. If trees and plants do not replace that which we and our machines breathe, we will be in trouble.
- Pollution is bad for the atmosphere, for nature and for our health.
- Many of us need to revise our diets and lifestyles for the good of our own health as well as for the planet.
- Plastic is polluting the earth, the oceans and the foodchain.
- There are many reasons for trying to preserve the diversity of the world’s flora and fauna.
- Most rain forests are home to hunter-gatherers as well as the things they hunt and gather. They are human beings and should have rights, including the right to their homes.
I hope a lot of people who disagree about climate change and many other things will find things on the above list to support. Let us not allow our differences to keep us from achieving common goals.