Following my recent article about managing the cyber risk, you may be wondering how much you need to spend to ensure adequate cybersecurity for your business. That is a sensible question, as there is no limit to the amount you could spend, and we know that 100% security from cyberattacks is as unrealistic as 100% physical security. You want value for your money, don’t you?
This is where the basic principles of risk management become relevant. See my book Load The Dice https://tsw.createspace.com/title/5163656 Kindle ASIN: B00R58W9NQ
What do I mean? Think about the probability and potential severity of each risk., in this case the cyber risk.
- What data is on your computer?
- How crucial is it?
- Where is it backed up?
- How easily could you reinstall your software?
- How likely is it that your business would be specifically targeted?
- How dependent are you on other organisations that are more likely to be targets?
When you have the answers to all the above, you are then in a position to review your cybersecurity.
There are three options.
- You can do this alone or with your own IT people.
- You can see me or another risk management consultant., such as www.metanoia-business-services.co.uk
- Or you can go to a more advanced cybersecurity firm, perhaps one that does penetration testing like www.xyone.co.uk
Or you could always do what the NHS did. Wait and see what the dice do. I think it’s better to load them in your favour.
It’s your decision. It’s your business.